Friday Fun Facts- Coffee Facts Worth Knowing

Coffee-Beans-Wallpaper-HD-20

It all started with dancing goats!
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAITAAAAJGJiNzU3YjkzLTU2OGQtNGMxYy05ODYyLTRhMDIzYjY3ZmI3ZQ
Legend has it that Ethiopian shepherds first noticed the effects of caffeine when they saw their goats appearing to become frisky and “dance” after eating coffee beans.

hi-coffee-beans0_1704638c Did you know that originally coffee was eaten? African tribes mixed coffee berries with fat that formed edible energy balls!

islamic-symbol The rise of Islam contributed greatly to the popularity of coffee. The religion prohibited drinking alcohol, but coffee was considered an acceptable drink.

beans_abroad_stage All of the coffee in the world grows in the Bean Belt. The “Bean Belt” is the area between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. (Hawaii is the only state in the United States that grows coffee.)

no coffee
In 1675, the King of England banned coffee houses, claiming they were places where people would gather to conspire against him.

fufsdfsdsfd 70% of the world consumes Arabica coffee, which is mild and aromatic. The remaining 30% drinks Robusta which has a more bitter taste but has 50% more caffeine than the Arabica.

harvesting3 As sure we have all figured out by now, coffee grows on trees. The trees can grow up to 30 feet tall, but are cultivated to be 10 feet (3 meters) tall for easy- picking.

coffee-berry-mlm-opportunity-in-pittsburgh-pa The bean is actually a seed inside of a bright red berry.

Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth. Oil is the first most.   Coffee berries are picked, dried and stripped down until all that’s left is a green bean. Once shipped, the beans are roasted at around 500F. After a few minutes, the bean will pop and double in size. A few minutes after that, the bean will pop once more. The second cup means the bean in done.

George Washington invented instant coffee
93417729ca0ffd899b98fad8662263ed
… WAIT!
Not that George Washington! A Belgian man living in Guatemala by the name of George Washington invented it in 1906.

Espresso: E-spres-oh

It’s not a particular type of bean, roast, or blend. Espresso is just a way that coffee is prepared: shooting pressurized, hot water through finely ground coffee.
7

FYI: The term Americano comes from American GI’s during World War II. They would order Espresso with water to dilute the strong flavour.
(Also, the common term “cup of joe” comes from the American service men (GI Joes) in WWII being seen as big coffee drinkers)

How Caffeine Works its Magic

When Caffeine shows up, it attached to the receptors so that Adenosine cannot. Your pituitary gland sees this and thinks there’s an emergency, so it tells the adrenal glands to produce adrenaline. In addition, caffeine bumps up your dopamine levels. And the result of that is:

3

fun facts provided by: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/coffee

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s