Happy National Dessert Day, everyone! I hope that we all take this opportunity to spoil ourselves with our favorite and most decadent deserts that we can get our hands on. But if you’re like me and are looking to bake your own desert for National Dessert Day, I have the perfect recipe for you!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– ½ teaspoon nutmeg
– 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
– 2 cups sugar
– ½ cup vegetable oil
– 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
– 1 cup of your favourite coffee (I recommend a dark roast)
– 2 eggs
– 2 teaspoons vanilla
– 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
– 3 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
– ¼ cup heavy cream
– ¼ cup of your favourite coffee
– 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
– 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, plus more for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pan with liners or grease with butter or oil.
2. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, espresso powder and sugar in a medium bowl.
3. Vigorously whisk the oil, milk, coffee, eggs and vanilla together in a large bowl.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the coffee mixture and mix to combine. Do not over mix.
5. Evenly distribute the batter among the liners. You may need to make a second batch.
6. Bake the cupcakes for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow the cupcakes to completely cool.
8. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
9. Slowly add the powdered sugar.
10. Mix the cream, espresso, coffee and cocoa powder together, and then add to the frosting and mix
until fully incorporated.
11. Frost, dust with extra cocoa powder and enjoy!!