Before you start to feel guilty about baking yet another desert, let me just say that the batter is made using non-fat plain Greek yogurt and unsweetened applesauce. The almond flour has a compelling amount of vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients. But no need to worry, the chunks of golden brown sugar and cinnamon still top this delicious treat at only 110 calories. So eat away, guilt free!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
serving size: 1/12 of coffee cake
– 9 oz yellow cake mix
– ½ cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt
– ½ cu p water
– 2 large egg whites
– 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
– 1 Tbsp almond flour
– ½ tsp salt
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 2 Tbsp Stevia
– 1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar
– 1 Tbsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8” x 8” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. To make the coffee cake topping: in a small bowl, stir together the Stevia, brown sugar and cinnamon, mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix dry cake mix, yogurt, water, egg whites, applesauce, almond flour, salt and vanilla until smooth. Pour coffee cake batter into baking dish.
4. Lightly sprinkle ½ cup of the coffee cake topping over the coffee cake batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden.
- Sprinkle cake with remaining sugar topping. Let cool for 10 minutes.